Eight Finalists have been selected
An expert jury has selected the eight best ideas from among the 150 or so international entries elicited by this year's Wizards Day, a bright ideas competition organized by German trade journal Feuerwehr-Magazin and the German Fire Protection Association (GFPA).
Readers now have until 1 June 2010 to vote for their favorites at www.feuerwehrmagazin.de (German only).
Here are the eight best ideas:
- Idea 1 - Hose press: squeezes the air out of fire hoses, making it easier to load them into transport carts.
- Idea 2 - QuickPlug: fits flush into the pick holes of underground hydrant access covers, thereby preventing them from clogging up with road grit.
- Idea 3 - Tool for use during fire call-outs: can be used as a lever, a probe, or to smash windows or roof cladding, pull objects out of the way and expose hot spots.
- Idea 4 - Aerial rescue bucket: suspended from four guys to prevent tipping. Can accommodate tools and small parts.
- Idea 5 - Underbody washing unit: a simple way to clean the underside of fire appliances. Unit is fed via a B-type hose coupling.
- Idea 6 - Exhaust gas duct: IC enginepowered electric generators are often operated onboard fire appliances. The duct, a stainless steel tube, directs the generators exhaust gas up and away from the vehicle.
- Idea 7 - Hydrant map mounted on cab ceiling: makes it easier to find the nearest hydrant when attending fires.
- Idea 8 - Knot kit: useful tool for explaining and practicing all knots commonly used by fire crews and people working at height. Also suitable for self-learning and practice at home.